The Pisek coincidence

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Pisek, North Dakota: A tiny Midwest American town founded by Bohemian settlers in the late 1800s. In 2010, the population was 106. In recent years, a lost painting by the famous Czech artist Alfonse Mucha was found in the attic of the local Catholic Church.

Pisek, Czech Republic: There are two - A Southern Bohemian town AND a defunct suburb of Prague that was demolished in the 1620s to make way for a palace. However, the Pisek gateway fortification to Baroque Prague still stands - right near my school. And there's an adorable cafe in it, called Písecká brána.

What's left of the Pisek gate today
A photo of the Pisek gate from earlier years (date unknown)
I found this coincidence really special not only because I'm from North Dakota, but also because I was a Bible Camp counselor in Park River, which is very near to Pisek. I've been there a couple of times.

I didn't know about the "Pisek" connection until I visited the cafe twice and decided to research its history. So glad I did.

A picture-perfect window for top-notch tea-sipping
The inside of the cafe, curved brick walls and all
Evidence from a recent gate wedding
My school's art teacher visited the venue last week and is in negotiations to hold a student art show there. So, I'm looking forward to sipping their divine fresh ginger tea, seeing student art and feeling like ND isn't all that far away...


Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

where to find me

Popular Posts

Czechesotans © . QUINN CREATIVES .