Walk with Whitman

Saturday, March 29, 2014

How to describe today?        Halcyon.
It was golden; it was unspoiled; it was picturesque.

It made me go all Transcendentalist; the more we walked through Prague's verdant Riegerovy Sady, the more I had Walt Whitman running through my head. Thus, this post is a string of park photos matched with some favorite poetic bits from Whitman's Leaves of Grass, in no particular order.


Loafe with me on the grass, loose the stop from your throat,
  Not words, not music or rhyme I want, not custom or lecture, not
      even the best,
  Only the lull I like, the hum of your valved voice.


A child said What is the grass? fetching it to me with full hands;
  How could I answer the child? I do not know what it is any more than he.

  I guess it must be the flag of my disposition, out of hopeful green
      stuff woven.


Spontaneous me, Nature,
The loving day, the mounting sun, the friend I am happy with


The voice, articulation, language, whispering, shouting aloud,
  Food, drink, pulse, digestion, sweat, sleep, walking, swimming,
  Poise on the hips, leaping, reclining, 
  embracing, arm-curving and tightening


Love-buds put before you and within you whoever you are,
  Buds to be unfolded on the old terms,
  If you bring the warmth of the sun to them they will open and bring
      form, color, perfume, to you,
  If you become the aliment and the wet they will become flowers,
      fruits, tall branches and trees.


I have perceiv'd that to be with those I like is enough...
  To be surrounded by beautiful, curious, breathing, 
  laughing flesh is enough


Good in all,
  In the satisfaction and aplomb of animals,
  In the annual return of the seasons,
  In the hilarity of youth,


We also ascend dazzling and tremendous as the sun,
  We found our own O my soul in the calm and cool of the daybreak


I dream'd in a dream I saw a city invincible to the attacks of the
      whole of the rest of the earth,
  I dream'd that was the new city of Friends,
  Nothing was greater there than the quality of robust love,
      it led the rest

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

where to find me

Popular Posts

Czechesotans © . QUINN CREATIVES .